Sunday, April 26, 2009

Adding to brother farley....

I found this post from a Blog of a friend of brother Farley. This man was not a member and was pretty anti-mormon, but from this post you can see what a great effect brother farley had on him. ( This man also was the last man to see brother Farley alive, Bro FArley died while leaving this man's house after working on their motocycles together)

_____________________________________________________________________________________

A final wrap-up....

Mike's funeral was yesterday at 5:00 p.m. Mrs. Sahagan and I attended (the crowd was over 100). It was our first time in a Mormon church function, and I must say the service was dignified, in a beautiful sanctuary, and yet, at the same time, very mournful, for Mike was an integral and very appreciated member of the congregation.

I spoke to the assembled group and conveyed the sincerest condolences, prayers and well-wishes from this forum and everyone who replied to this thread.

Mike is now on his way to Wisconsin, his home, to be laid to rest. Were he aware of it, I'm sure he'd hate the ride in the hearse, preferring to make such a trip on two wheels.

As to the disposition of his wrecked '09 Vulcan (it is expected the insurance company will return the bike to the family, and I've been asked to retrieve it and store it), and the Connie sitting in my shop, the family has asked me to hold on for a couple of weeks, when they will call and talk to me about them.

A couple of things really hit home for me. At 72, Mike had lived a long and amazingly productive life. His accomplishments read like those of many more famous men, and yet, he never once reeled them off to me, preferring to be just himself, a motorcycle nut, plain and simple.

But that was just the tiniest part of his life. His family was large and extended, and the impact he had upon many people was great and lasting. As it was for me.

Mike and I had theological incompabilities, and yet, when we mutually realized neither of us was about to make a new convert, we decided instead, to make a new friend. And a true friend he was. I never saw Mike exhibit anything but a laid-back attitude, never losing his temper, even when his Leatherman tool closed up on his finger....we agreed wholeheartedly on the conservative political stance, and between us, we had corporately seen not one single episode of Saturday Night Live. And while that probably means nothing to anyone reading this, it meant something to us.We shared a total disinterest in modern humor, the lack of morality and the loss of consideration for others that is so rampant today.

So Mike will be missed. Here are two direct quotes from my short address to the group, that sum up for me, the way I feel...."If Mike Farley excelled in being a family man, a father, husband, son, grandfather and great grandfather, if Mike Farley excelled in being a member of the church, and a servant of God. Then know this....Mike Farley excelled in being a friend as well."

And, to close out I said, "If Mike Farley is the greatest man the Mormans have ever produced, they have no reason whatsoever to feel anything but a justified sense of satisfaction and well-being".

The family and the church congregation asked me to convey their appreciation for your kind words and condolences. You already know how I feel about your outpouring of support and concern.

Thank you. After all, can it really be Heaven without motorcycles? And maybe we'll join Mike riding along the dappled roads of Southern Heaven one of these days. After all, he loved the South.

Sahagan

No comments: